Launching Your Church Website will help you get your church website up and running. Using a focused approach, this course helps you zero in on the engagement, design, and launching of a successful church website. You will also learn about creating great content for both visitors and members.
Begin this course by clicking on the links below. When you have finished a lesson, simply close the window and return to this page to select a new topic to explore.
- Values and Vision. Before you can build your website, you need to understand what you want to say and who you are trying to reach. In this module, explore your church's values and vision. Then, consider your audience and their needs.
- Visitor-Focused, Member-Driven. Visitors have reasons for visiting your website. They are getting to know you for the first time. Members on the other hand come to your website looking for different kinds of information. How can you serve both audiences on your site? Let's explore some ways to make your website visitor-focused, but driven by your members.
- Site Layout. When it comes to website design, many churches rush straight to ideas for their site layout. We have taken a different approach. We have given thought to our values, vision, who are audience is, and how to build a site that welcomes visitors while still serving our members. Now it's time to design our website! Consider the following lessons to learn about effective website design.
- Creating Content. We have learned about your home page, the first thing visitors to your website will see. But you have other information you want to share with your audience. You may want to publish a monthly calendar of church services and events. You may want to feature a ministry like the youth group. In this module we will explore how great content can make your site a place visitors and members want to visit.
- Maximizing Your Website. Now that your church has a website, be sure to get the most out of it! Take a look at the lessons in this module to learn how to maximize your website to reach new visitors to your church.
- WordPress Tips and Techniques. Your church may use WordPress to build and maintain your website. If your site is designed and hosted by United Methodist Communications, your site will use WordPress. Download the files in this section to learn specific instructions for adding or maintaining features on your WordPress site.